Thursday, April 23, 2015

Time Well Spent


It's almost surreal...I've spent the last 18+ months thinking that I would never finish this master's program at Walden. There have been many challenges along the way, both personally and professionally. There were many times where I just wanted to quit, because it just seemed too hard. But with support from my family, friends, and colleagues- both at Walden and in the workplace, I persevered. This program has taught me many things about myself and about the early childhood field. Here are some of the thing I have learned:

v Building relationships is the key to success. This includes the relationships among children, families, teachers, colleagues, professional organizations, community organizations, politicians and so on. The stronger your network of relationships, the more support you have for yourself and for the children and families that depend on you for high quality programs and experiences.

v Get to know your local and state politicians. Building a relationship with them and getting them to see the whole picture when it comes to helping support children and families can make all the difference.

v Don't be afraid of research. Yes, reading research articles can be intimidating, with all of the statistical information and confusing language. But once you learn to read and interpret current research, you can use it to support your position to improve conditions for children and families everywhere.

v Advocate, Advocate, Advocate. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. When you believe in something and have the data to back it up, don't stand quietly on the sidelines. All it takes is for someone to care about an issue and to speak on it passionately to get others to join the mission. Sonia Johnson, American Feminist activist and writer said it well when she said that "We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference and that a small group of determined people can change the course of history." So if you see something you don't feel is right, speak up, and change history!

v Never underestimate the value of reflection and self examination. Sometimes a problem begins with you and your views, and not with others. Always stop and think about what you think about a problem or issue and about the reasons why you think that way. Ask yourself, am I showing bias? If so, why? What can I do to change my thinking?

 

My long term goal is to continue to engage in continuous self reflection so that I can always improve my teaching. I would like to ensure that every child and family sees their unique identity reflected in the classroom environment, creating a sense of belonging and feeling of acceptance.

 

I am grateful for the support and feedback I have received from my colleagues at Walden and from my dedicated instructors. Your comments, opposing viewpoints, constructive criticism, and agreements have given me valuable information about when I need to reexamine things or when I am on the right track. Thank you all for everything, and I wish everyone continued success in their future endeavors. Anyone wishing to remain in contact is welcome to contact me at celesteguinazu@gmail.com. I look forward to working with any of my Walden colleagues on future projects, so that we may make this world a better place for children and families.
 
 

 
















 

Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I understand.” – Chinese proverb


 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Your lessons learned are some important ones, so glad we stayed true and are almost done! Thank you for your thoughtful and supportive threads and responses. I know you will go far, your commitment to the field is obvious and I know you will go far, thanks ago and CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste,

    Your long term goal is a wonderful goal! Self-reflection is something that we all should do as early childhood professionals. I believe when we take the time to reevaluate our teaching styles or even how we communicate with children and families it could make a world of difference when interacting families or teaching young children on an individual level.

    Also Celeste, I want to thank you for your comments on the discussion boards, and my blog throughout our time together in the courses we shared. Congratulations and continue doing what you do best!

    Take care

    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Celeste,
    I agree with you completely, I felt the same way when I started this program. I mean everybody at my job knows about it, since the beginning I let them know how far I was and my progress, as well my struggles. Like you I had some personal and professional setbacks, but with all my classmates help I was able to continue and look as us know; at the end of this amazing journey. The best part of this journey is to keep growing and help others on the way; thank you for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Celeste,

    This has truly been an amazing experience. The lessons you have learned are so important and hold great value. I am glad to have shared this experience with you. We can both go on to make differences in children and families lives.

    Congrats!
    Tierra Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Celeste -
    I couldn't have said it better myself about the lessons learned on this amazing journey. We all now have so many tools we have gathered along the way to help families and children in the early childhood field. I wish you the best in your future journeys!
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celeste,
    It is surreal that we have arrived at this point! I completely agree with you that building relationships is key to having success in not only our field but every where. The relationships with our colleagues, families and children can be stepping stones to advocate for them. It was a joy to go through this program with you!

    ReplyDelete