Sunday, September 15, 2013

A child I will never forget....

Earlier in my blog I posted about one of my favorite children's books, Out of My Mind, by Sharon Draper; and the student who led me to read it. Now I will share more about the child who taught me that no matter what challenges you face, where there's a will, there's always a way.
I met Jasmine* on the first day of school in 2011. I was to be her special education aide, the person assigned to accompany her everywhere throughout the school. I was terrified to work with a student who I was told couldn’t walk, talk, or communicate through any conventional means. She was unable to control her arms or legs, and used a wheelchair for mobility. What I learned over the next year and a half was that she, much like Melody, was brilliant. Through trial and error we (her teachers and therapists), found ways to communicate with her, to teach her, and for her to teach us. We also learned ways for her classmates to do the same. We learned that we could post pictures, and later words, on a communication board and how to follow her gaze (one of the few muscles she had good control of) so that she could express her wants and needs. This translated to academics by allowing us to have her answer multiple choice questions by providing up to four answer choices, reading her a question, and following her gaze to her chosen answer. We learned to allow her time to read her choices before and after giving the question, and that she would hold her gaze on her chosen answer for a period of time to let us know the answer she chose. Later we were given access to one of the most amazing pieces of technology available today, an eye gaze computer called a Tobii. She learned, over a period of months, and continues to learn, to use this computer for both general communication (it talks!) and academic pursuits. Over time, she developed friendships with her classmates, as they began to learn that she was just like them. She may look different on the outside, but on the inside, was the same as any third grader! Over the year and a half that I had the honor and pleasure of working with her, I learned that she was truly a hard worker, an exceptional learner, and that she had a great sense of humor! Unfortunately, she changed schools midway through the school year, and while I have no idea where she is now or how she is doing, I truly hope she is doing as wonderfully or better now than she was while she was a student of mine. This is a student that showed me that anyone can learn, it’s just a matter of how things are presented, and how things are adapted, that truly make a difference. Thank you Jasmine, for making me a better teacher and a better person. I miss you every day and hope more people see you and other children with disabilities for who they are and help each and every one of them reach for the stars! (now I need a box of tissues! J)

 

*not her real name, name changed to protect privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment